The Institute of Quarrying NZ (Inc.) Youth Programme was started in 2016 after it was identified there was a need to support young members within the industry.
The Youth programme has been a success with a number of young members completing the programme which commences at the Quarry NZ Conference.
IOQ NZ (Inc.) members have identified the need to promote and support young members as they move through their careers within the extractive industry by providing opportunities for young extractive operators to make lasting relationships and gathering knowledge from established industry leaders.
As the extractive industry members age a new workforce will emerge that requires a guiding influence to ensure they have the best chance to succeed in tomorrow’s market place.
The purpose of this initiative is to identify individuals who demonstrate the qualities and commitment to become a future leader within the extractive sector by providing a platform for these candidates to gain experience and establish relationships that will assist them through their development.
The IOQ NZ Youth Programme will select one candidate from each Island to be a part of the programme. Nominations will come from existing IOQ NZ (Inc.) members and the selection will be made by the IOQ NZ (Inc.) executive.
Applications must include:
- Completed application form.
- 1 letter of reference.
- Letter of support from your current employer.
- A cover letter explaining why you are interested in the programme.
- Current CV.
The candidate will be able to demonstrate the following criteria to be considered:
- 1-2 years experience in the extractive industry.
- Currently employed in the extractive industry.
- Have obtained or working towards a B Grade COC.
- Have the support of their employer.
- Able to supply character references to determine suitability to programme.
- Be between 18-35 years of age.
- Must be committed to understanding and upholding the IOQ NZ (Inc.) code of conduct.
- Candidate must put together four progress reports during the one year, outlining conference information they have learned and three subsequent follow up reports on their progress through the industry.
The successful candidate will be eligible for the following:
- Complimentary entry to Quarry New Zealand Conference.
- Complimentary IOQ NZ student membership for 12 months.
- Exposure to the extractive industry on a regional and national level.
- Opportunity to form relationships within the industry.
- Travel costs and accommodation costs for the Quarry NZ Conference are not covered by this programme.