Worksafe CPD workshops
WorkSafe Extractives team will be delivering quarry workshops as part of the implementation for the revised Health and Safety at Work (Mining Operation and Quarrying Operation) Regulations (MOQO Regs). The Implementation program to date has included overview presentations at IOQ branch meetings in May and June 2022, that were attended by approximately 300 people from the quarry industry. WorkSafe are grateful to the IOQ for their support in delivering those workshops. WorkSafe also present at the MinEx workshops that run from April to October at 16 different locations throughout NZ.
Our Extractives website features a video and factsheet and soon will have guidance available on the key changes. As Paul Hunt, Chief Inspector indicated at the IOQ Conference our approach for the first twelve months is to educate and engage with the quarry industry on the MOQO Regs. It is important that all quarry operators have a working knowledge of how the MOQO Regs apply to their quarry operation.
The following is our outline for the quarry workshops. Our intent is to work in partnership with the IOQ. We are encouraging of quarry operators to become members of the IOQ so that they hear consistent messages about Health and Safety from both the Regulator and their peers.
Outline of quarry workshops
Locations – We will follow the lead of MinEx who have been delivering workshops for four years now in the following locations:
|Waipukurau (Napier area),
If there is a particular need we will work with IOQ branches to accommodate a change in location.
Audience – The target audience is B grade quarry operations. These are operators who have four or less workers. We will be encouraging quarry managers to bring a laptop and if they have a person who assists them with administration for that person to attend also. A grade quarry operations are welcome to attend but they need to be aware that the training is targeted to B grade quarry operations.
Timings – We plan to deliver quarry workshops in November, December and February. Feedback from industry is to run afternoon and or early evening sessions. We are happy to accommodate IOQ branch meetings. For example run a workshop 12 to 4pm followed by an IOQ branch meeting. Or run a workshop from 2pm to 6pm. The quarry workshops will be four hours.
Topics – The workshops will cover the following topics:
Hazard, risk, risk assessment, duties of quarry manager and quarry operator, notification of appointed quarry manager and acting quarry manager, notifiable event (for both Health and Safety at Work Act and Mining Operation and Quarrying Operation Regulations, Schedule 5), quarterly reporting, Health and Safety management system as detailed in good practice guidelines section 2 and MOQO Regs, Regulation 56.
Objective – we aim for the workshops to be interactive so will look to incorporate small group work, practical examples and use of photos from sites. The aim of the workshop is for attendees to leave with a HSMS framework that is tailored to their site. Quarry managers and administrator are encouraged to attend with a laptop. Workshops will be limited to 25 as more than this will limit group work.
- Dannelle Boeyen will be liaising with IOQ branches to set date, time and venues. We are asking that all IOQ branches have their venues, dates, times and required equipment confirmed and sent through to Dannelle by EOB on the 30 Sept 2022.
- WorkSafe will produce a generic course flyer that IOQ branches can circulate to their members. The course flyer will also be distributed by WorkSafe to quarry operator and quarry manager email addresses from our quarry database. Once dates and venues are confirmed this will be added to our WorkSafe Extractives webpage and the IOQ website. We will talk with our comms team to explore options of promoting the quarry workshops.
- WorkSafe request the IOQ branches assist with venues and taking registrations.
- The quarry workshops presents an opportunity for IOQ branches to talk about the benefits of being an IOQ member and how to register.
- The IOQ branch will need to add their date, time and venue details when they send out the email to their regions.
- Please ensure that the venues have a data projector and speakers available.
- Please complete the table information within required time frame and send through to Dannelle, so that we can organise our presenters for these workshops.
By late September WorkSafe will be ready to distribute links to the MOQO Regulation guidance and HSMS template. When registrations are confirmed we will work with you to email this information to the registered course attendees.
Worksafe are happy for all of industry to attend, however the target audience is B grade quarry operations. These are operators who have four or less workers. “We will be encouraging quarry managers to bring a laptop and if they have a person who assists them with administration for that person to attend also. A grade quarry operations are welcome to attend but they need to be aware that the training is targeted to B grade quarry operations”.
Workshops will be limited to 25 as more than this will limit group work.
If there are more than 25 people interested in attending your branch’s workshop, and it is practicable we would need to look at holding another workshop as we don’t want to be turning away B grade quarry operations, managers etc.
Reminder: CPD hours for those in the process of working towards their COC can not be held over for the next period. All CPD hours need to be completed within the 5 year period once they have been issued their COC.
Senior Support Officer
High Hazard Unit Extractives
M 021 996 164
E [email protected]